On April 27, 2017, the Fullerton College Faculty Senate voted to adopt Canvas permanently as the campus learning management system (LMS). Click here to learn more about the Online Education Initiative.
Accessing Canvas Course Shells
Canvas course shells will be automatically generated for all courses on campus going forward. All courses means every course, including face-to-face, online, and hybrid courses. All instructors (not just those who teach online) will automatically have course shells in any given semester that they are teaching. As courses are added to the schedule, the Canvas system will update.
Instructors do not have to ask to use Canvas. Once you are in the FC Canvas system, you should always have access to it, even in semesters when you may not have courses. You can also create new course shells to use as sandboxes or for department or other group use.
THREE WAYS TO ACCESS CANVAS
- Fullerton College website Canvas link on the left-hand, pull-out menu.
- Go directly to the secure login page at: fullcoll.instructure.com.
- Login to MyGateway. Go to the Fullerton section and scroll down to the Distance Education box. Click on Canvas at Fullerton College. At all three of these locations, login using your MyGateway user name (with no @ sign in front of it) and password. If you need to reset your MyGateway password, do it only once and wait for the system to sync up. If you reset it multiple times, the system will get gridlocked. For help with MyGateway, call the District Information Services Help Desk: 714-808-4849.
Copying Course Content
You can easily download your Canvas courses and upload them into your new course shells for the next semester. For help with this, call 844-600-4948.
You can make your own sandbox shells by clicking on “Start a New Course.” Any courses that you create on your own will not have a roster, but you can work in them as much as you like, and then copy them over to the real course shells when they are ready. Or, if you create a course to use for a department or program group, you can easily invite users by email under People.
Canvas Help Line
Canvas provides a 24/7 helpline to faculty and students.
or click on the Help/? icon on the Canvas dashboard to chat or send an email.
Look on the District-wide Staff Development Calendar (MyGateway, Calendars) to sign up for training. Note: If there is nothing on the calendar–never fear! Check back again, and there will be.
Blackboard Phased out on May 30, 2018
The Blackboard system at Fullerton College will operate the same way until it is phased out on May 30, 2018. This means that online and hybrid courses will automatically be generated, but face-to-face courses will be coded by division admins upon request.
Online Training Resources in Canvas
If instructors wish to make an appointment for one-on-one coaching, see the Contact Us page of this website.
Adding SI Leaders, Teaching Assistants, and Observers to Canvas
If you need to add someone to your course as a TA, SI leader, intern, hourlies, or observers, you can add those people yourself by clicking on +People under the People section of a course.
Here are the instructions:
1.People, +People, add by SIS id (Banner id) or by email.
2. Choose a role for the person. The Teacher role has the most access, the observer role has the least access.
3. If you added by Banner id, the person will accept the invitation to the course on their Canvas dashboard.
4. If you added by email, the person will get an email invitation and follow the prompts from there.
5.If you want to give someone only temporary access, then you can remove that person anytime (including students or instructors who do not belong). Go to People, click on the person’s name, click on Conclude (ignore Can’t Delete), click on okay at the prompt.
If a person does not have a Banner id does not, then you will have to add that person by email AND they will have an alternative login at fullcoll.instructure.com/login/canvas.
Note: Those who are not in the system will be invited to create a user account, and then they will login using those credentials (user name and password that they create) at fullcoll.instructure.com/login/canvas. Note that this is a different login page than the one listed above.