Instructions for Setting up a Turnitin Assignment via Canvas
WHAT TO DO FIRST
- First and foremost: If you are already using Turnitin, either via the Website or via Blackboard, do not activate it via Canvas. Each semester, faculty must select only ONE means (per class) of utilizing Turnitin. To activate more than one platform makes for utter chaos, which you want to avoid at all costs.
- Your students must input their email addresses by clicking the Account tab (on their far left, alongside the course menu). Then select Setting and click the option to add an email address. Click Register Email and follow the instructions to confirm the email address. If they have not input an email address, they will be unable to upload Turnitin assignments.
- Before setting up a Turnitin assignment, input your FC email address into a Canvas shell. Click the Account tab (on your far left, alongside the course menu). Then select Setting and click the option to add an email address. Click Register Email and follow the instructions to confirm the email address.
- After you have confirmed the email address, you’re ready to set up an assignment by following the steps below.
SET UP A TURNITIN ASSIGNMENT
- Select Assignments from the Canvas course menu (not account dashboard) and then create an assignment by clicking +Assignment on the upper right-hand side.
- Input necessary assignment information (title, instructions, etc.) before selecting “External Tool” from the Submission Type drop-down menu.
- Beneath that drop-down menu, notice a “Find” tab to the right of a search bar. Click “Find,” and a number of options will show up. Scroll to and choose “Turnitin,” and “Select,” and a special link will be inserted in the search bar.
- Complete the assignment details below Submission Type. You MUST input a due date, or Turnitin will not activate. (You do not have to use the make assignment available “from and to” dates–just the due date).
- Choose “Save” on the lower right-hand side and your assignment should appear.
- At the top, near the Turnitin logo, you will see a Settings option. Once you select it, you’ll be in familiar territory, presented with as few or as many assignment options as you desire. (To the right of this page, you’ll see an option to edit the assignment.)
NOTE: You can use all of the regular functions of Turnitin, including Grademark, inside Canvas. In addition, Canvas also has an online grading option inside Speedgrader called Crocodoc that is similar to Grademark. However, it does not include a Similarity score.